You need a plumber to maintain and repair different areas of your home. You might need him for renovation projects, general maintenance or emergencies that might arise.
But what is the plumber call out fee? Despite the fact that the cost of hiring a plumber can be determined by factors such as your area of residence, it is still possible to estimate the value.
This article points out charges you should expect from a plumber and the jobs that plumbers do.
What tasks do plumbers handle?
Plumbing is an essential activity in your home, and you will need a plumber every now and then. Below are the tasks for plumbers.
- Repairing the toilet
- Gas fitting
- Installing the shower
- Replacing worn out plumbing
- Dealing with home renovation projects
- Repairing burst pipes and taps
- Connecting and installing different accessories such as water filters
- Repairing, installing and unblocking drains
- Installing hot water systems and solar
- Fixing leaked gases and water. In cases of sensitive plumbing projects, a plumber may need specialized training. Such projects include:
- Sanitary drainage
- Fire protection services
- Urban irrigation
Must your plumber have a licence?
Your plumber should have a licence together with other vital trades like gasfitters, builders, and electricians. All plumbers countrywide should have a permit to advertise themselves and conduct services in your home.
You should be able to distinguish licenced plumbers who are qualified to handle large plumbing ventures. They can take charge of plumbers who have a tradesperson certificate, and a plumbing contractor should inspect their work.
Most plumbing jobs require a standard plumbing licence. If you have a project that concerns a gas item, ensure that your plumber has a gas fitting licence or a valid endorsement.
The plumber should give you a compliance certificate which confirms that he has done the work according to the right standards and specifications. You might encounter plumbers who market themselves as master plumbers.
Who is a master plumber?
A master plumber is a member of a Master Plumber Association of a state and has had access to the latest industry expertise and advice. He can uphold high standards and offer you a better quality advice.
The Master Plumbers’ Association of Queensland (MPAQ) warns against choosing the cheapest quote. They recommend that you should get at least three work estimations to compare the prices. You should select the quote based on reputation and locality.
Factors to consider before hiring a plumber
Before hiring a plumber for the first time, ask them the following questions:
- Do you have a licence?
- Do you have motivation for working in my home?
- Do you have any referees?
- Can you offer a written quote? You should always request a full quote inclusive of all the materials used regardless of the size of your plumbing job.
The rate of hiring a plumber
What is the plumber rate per hour? There is a call out fee which you will have to pay plumbers before they visit your home.
They can charge an hourly rate after that until the completion of the job. The plumber call out fee can be between $60-$100.
Plumber cost per hour can be between $100-150, but this depends on the plumber. It also depends on your location and the skill level of the plumber.
Some plumbers have fixed rates for specific services like installing water systems and fixing blocked drains.
Since many plumbing problems occur at odd hours, some emergency plumbers offer 24-hour plumbing services. However, some plumbers may charge standard hourly rates while others may charge extra for odd hours.
Expect the following costs depending on your area of residence:
- Fixing a leaking toilet or a dripping tap: $60- $140
- Installing a sink, basin, bath or a toilet: $160-$550
- Replacing a new shower head, a fit bath or basin taps: $80 to $250
- Replacing a water service: $1200 to $4500
- Installing a hot water solar system depending on how complicated the system is and its size: $ 3500 - $1200
- Re-plumbing the whole house depending on the required features and piping complexity: $6,000 to $12,000
- Replacing your entire drainage system: $5,000 to $20,000
You should also prepare the costs of extra work such as painting after completing the plumbing job, tiling and rendering.
Comparing quotes from different plumbers
When comparing quotes, ensure that you understand what the whole package includes and what it excludes.
It might cost more if you keep the plumber waiting. Keep in mind that the cheapest quote might not be the best.
Review the quote of each plumber and settle on the one that fits your budget and expectations.
You need to estimate the cost of your project by analysing quotes from licenced plumbers in your area of residence to get an overview of the market rates.
Prices and costs in this article were sourced at the time when this article was being written. They are estimations and may vary depending on the location. They should, therefore, be used as a guide.
Looking for a plumber to help with a home project or emergency? Jump on the Bricks+Agent homeowners hub and post a job. It's quick, easy and free!