Would you like to revamp your house by changing your furniture? Whether you need a new door, a custom entertainment unit or a window installation, a carpenter can handle all that. Apart from that, carpenters can work on other materials such as PVC, steel, and plastics.
What is a carpenter subcontractor hourly rate? From this article, you will get an overview of the work of a carpenter and what it costs to hire one.
What tasks does a carpenter do?
Carpenters can work on different projects as listed below:
- Built-in-wardrobes: Carpenters can fix word-robes in your room correctly making your room attractive.
- Architraves: Carpenters deal with all detail work such as architraves and make everything work well.
- Door and windows: It is a carpenter who fixes all windows and doors in your home making your home have unusual thermal properties.
- Decking: Carpenters offer timber decking services at different prices.
- House frames and formwork: Carpenters who are experts of building projects construct framework and house frames from timber.
- Renovation: Carpenters can assist you in home renovation services such as installing kitchen cabinetry.
- Stairs and handrails: These are specialised tasks that can be performed well by a carpenter.
- Retaining walls: Carpenters create retaining walls to create more space that can be used on a property. This can stabilize a sloppy area and increase your safety.
Should you hire a licenced carpenter?
Some states require a licenced carpenter while some don’t.
Queensland: It is a must for a carpenter to be licenced in the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC)
SA: Consumer and Business Services (CNS) manage the construction industry and calls for carpenters to be licenced.
NSW: This Fair Trading manages building trade and needs all carpenters to be registered.
NT: The Northern Territory does doesn’t need carpenters to have a licenced unless if the value of work is more than $12000 in which the builder’s licence must be issued by the Building Practitioners Board.
ACT: The ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) controls all trade related to building licences and needs carpenters to have a builder’s licence with the right endorsement.
WA: You don’t need a licence unless your carpentry job is more than $20000.
Tasmania: The Justice Department gives out trade licences and in Tasmania and needs carpenters to have a permit.
Victoria: According to the Building Practitioners Board (BPB) carpenters should have a DB-L-C registration to do general carpentry work.
How much do carpenters earn?
“How much do carpenters earn?” You must have tried to find an answer to this question if you have ever thought about hiring a carpenter.
Carpenter’s salary per hour can be anywhere between $40-$80, but it depends on your area of residence and the job they are supposed to do.
Smaller jobs like installation of skirting boards might cost about $40 per hour. Complex tasks like building a new kitchen or custom installation might cost $80 per hour or more.
For the construction of built-in wardrobes, it might cost $120 per hour. A carpenter may charge a fixed price for other unique jobs like building a pergola. Their calculation is based on the time required and the size of the structure.
The cost of a built-in wardrobe
The following are charges you should expect for built-in wardrobes
- Built-in wardrobes using budget materials and fittings: $1,000
- Mid-range built-ins using better materials and fittings: $2500
- Luxury installation using the best materials and fittings: $5000
The cost a timber staircase
Expect to pay the following for timber staircases
- Straight flight using MDF: $900
- U shaped flight by use of MDF: $1220
- L shaped flight using MDF: $1100
- The cost of timber decking
The size of the materials you use will determine the cost of your deck. Hardwood timber is quite expensive while treated pine in inexpensive.
Be ready to pay approximately $265 for every square meter as a medium guide inclusive of materials. Treated pine decking can be about $13-$15 for 99mm width up to 6 meters. Composite decking, on the other hand, can be between $35 and $60 for the same dimension.
The cost of a timber deck
- 20 Square meter deck using treated pine: $3200
- 20 Square meter deck using mid-range hardwood: $7000
- 20 Square meter deck using composite timber $15000
The cost of a timber retaining wall
You should expect the following price for timber retaining wall
- Cost per square meter for a pine sleeper wall depending on the drainage status, soil type, and site access: $150-$250.
- Cost per square meter for a hardwood sleeper retaining wall depending on the soil type, site access, and drainage status: $200-$300
- The cost of timber fence
The cost of timber fence
- A timber picket fence per linear meter :$60 to $180
The cost of timber flooring
Price is determined by the grade and type of timber that you choose. For instance, a grade Blackbutt can be about $9 per linear meter while a standard Blackbutt flooring can cost about $5 per linear meter.
The cost of solid timber flooring
- Low-grade timber $40 per meter square
- Mid-grade timber $70 per meter square
- Premium timber with few defects or none at all: $100 per square meter.
- It can cost you $40-$100 per square meter on floating timber flooring depending on the brand of the timber purchased.
The cost of timber house frame
Expect to pay the following for a timber house frame:
- $1480 for every square meter.
If you want to get how much it will cost the job needed, inquire for quotes from carpenters to get a sense of the market prices.
All prices and costs in written here were sourced at the time when this article was being written. They, therefore, vary depending on the location and should be used as a guide only.
If you're looking to build or renovate your home, you'll need the experience of a local carpenter. They'll be able to give you helpful information about your project. With Bricks+Agent online community hub it's simple, easy and free to connect with a local professional with the right credentials and best quote for you!
Looking for a carpenter? Jump on Bricks+Agent and post your job. IT's quick, easy and free!