You might be wondering if it is a must to get a garden shed council approval for building a shed. The good news is that local shed builders understand the local rules that apply when building a shed. You don’t need permission from local council if you are not building a large shed or intend to use it regularly. So long as your shed passes specific requirements, you shouldn't need approval from your local council.
What are the general rules for building a shed?
- You need to know some general shed building rules in Australia.
- You can build a shed as large as 50sqm without getting approval from the council
- You don’t need council approval on 10 square metres or smaller shed. In other areas, the most significant size is 9sqm while others it goes up to 20 sqm.
- In many areas, sheds that are below 2.4 metres in height don’t need council approval.
- You can construct a shed at the back of your property if you live in a heritage conservation area.
- You don’t need council approval if your shade is located more than 900mm from adjacent properties.
- Sheds are also known as non-habitable structures.
- It is a must for sheds to have been constructed using non-combustible materials in bushfire prone areas that are if its location is 5 metres away from the primary dwelling.
- The shape and size of shade should not make it control the surrounding landscape.
Even if a shade is an informal structure, it should be constructed following the Building code of Australia. (BCA).
Should we consider shed construction a DIY project?
We can consider shade building as a DIY project because building a small shed needs cement slab and it is something that can quickly be done. It can be easier to purchase a kit shade from shed suppliers.
There are different shed designs such as aluminum, timber, and metal. You can modify them with ventilation systems, shelving and in any other way according to your wish.
It is important to get quotes from builders and suppliers if you want a large shed. You should also hire a licenced shed builder with relevant experience to get council approval and build an ideal shed that you can use as a home office or a workshop.
From Bricks+Agent, you can get quotes from shed suppliers and know more about custom built sheds and kit sheds. They are affordable and easy to get approved by the council.
Looking for a shed building expert in your neighbourhood to help with a home gardening project? Simply list your job on Bricks+Agent, a convenient community hub to connect homeowners with local professionals. Register today for free and get the home help you need.
Want more handy homeowner tips? Sign up to our monthly newsletter below!