How often do you clean your roof? Maintaining and repairing of the roof are ordinary activities you can’t avoid. However, you need to have a general maintenance and a roof repair specialist to inspect your roof thoroughly and maintain it.
Roof maintenance is essential just like regular brushing of your teeth to avoid visiting the dentist. This guide shows how to clean a colorbond roof and keep it new. It will help you determine whether roof cleaning is something you can do alone or hire experts to do it.
Two ways of cleaning your roof
The type of roof in your house is the primary determinant of how you can clean it effectively. Algae is the key contributor of black patches in poorly maintained roofs. Therefore there are two ways of getting rid of algae from the roof.
1. Chemical washing
You can use chemicals to clean any roofing material. Sodium and chlorine solution are most common materials used in this case.
2. Pressure washing
This is a method used in washing tiled and metal roofs to get rid of algae.
How can you pressure wash your roof?
The following are tips on how to clean roof tiles.
Rent a pressure washer from your local equipment hire shop. You can also find other inexpensive models that were designed for home use at hardware stores all over Australia. This is a secure way of getting rid of algae even though there is no full proof.
- Begin with the top of your roof as you move down to prevent flashing water on sheets of roofing materials and between overlapping tiles
- Begin with a small area. Keep the top of the wand approximately 30cm away from the roof. Use medium pressure. Lower the wand slowly until it starts removing the mold. Ensure that the pressure is not too heavy to avoid damaging some roofing materials. Do it slowly and inspect the roof regularly as you continue with the process.
Since algae are slippery, always stand in a dry place when you start cleaning. As you move on, stand on already cleaned areas.
How to clean using chemicals
Chlorine is always preferred to Sodium hydroxide for DIY cleaning projects. However, you can use weak sodium solution but rinse the roof before it dries up.
Wear gloves and protective glasses when using any chemical to avoid eye and skin irritation. Chemicals are useful for cleaning because they do kill algae very fast and your task remains to rinse them off thoroughly using a garden hose.
To speed up this process, apply the solution using a soft bristle brush and brush when rinsing. Don’t brush it hard as you can cause damage.
- If you have a steeply pitched roof, don’t try the DIY cleaning method. You can safely walk on a dry and clean roof. But this is not the case when cleaning a wet roof because it has algae hence it is slippery.
- If you are pressure washing, always use low pressure to get rid of algae. It is possible to remove algae using high pressure, but it will damage your roof.
- Don’t use strong chemical solutions. Also, avoid rinsing them to plants below or on the lawn because the chemicals can kill plants.
If you feel unfit to clean your roof, feel free to call roofing professional. Roof professionals have skills and necessary equipments to do the task safely.
Looking for a roof cleaner in your neighbourhood to help with a home maintenance? Simply list your job on Bricks+Agent, a convenient community hub to connect homeowners with local professionals. Register today for free and get the home help you need.
Want more handy homeowner tips? Sign up to our monthly newsletter below!